Rivalry Corp., an internationally regulated sports betting and media company, today announced its financial results for the three and 12-month periods ended December 31, 2022. The Company also announced preliminary results for the three-month period ended March 31, 2023. All dollar figures are quoted in Canadian dollars.
“Our market strategy and operational excellence continues to build upon consecutive record-setting quarters, driving a strong finish to the year and a robust Q1, while simultaneously demonstrating sequential narrowing losses on our path to profitability,” said Steven Salz, Co-Founder and CEO of Rivalry. “Underpinning our growth is significant brand loyalty among the Millennial and Gen Z audience and true product innovation in online betting, enabling every marketing dollar to go further, enhancing retention, and creating a distinctly unique platform. Rivalry continues to be economically rewarded for taking an inventive approach to the betting experience and tailoring it for a demographic with unique consumption habits.”
Full-Year 2022 Financial Highlights
- Betting handle was $232.8 million in 2022, an increase of 198% compared to $78.2 million in 2021.
- Revenue was a record $26.6 million in 2022, an increase of 140% from $11.0 million in 2021.
- Gross profit was $9.8 million in 2022, an increase of $7.6 million or 349% from $2.2 million in 2021.
- Net loss for the year was $31.1 million, compared to a net loss of $24.3 million in 2021. The 2022 net loss includes $8.2 million of share-based compensation expense, a non-cash item, compared to $10.5 million of share-based compensation expense in 2021.
- The Company had $16.4 million of cash and no debt as at December 31, 2022.2
Fourth Quarter 2022 Financial Highlights
- Betting handle was $83.9 million in Q4 2022, a year-over-year increase of 237% compared to $24.9 million in Q4 2021, and up 19% sequentially from the previous record quarterly handle of $70.3 million in Q3 2022.
- Revenue was $9.4 million in Q4 2022, a year-over-year increase of 338% from $2.2 million in Q4 2021, and represented the Company’s highest-ever revenue up to that point. Revenue was up 32% sequentially from $7.1 million in Q3 2022.
- Sportsbook revenue of $7.1 million in Q4 2022 was $1.0 million higher than in Q3 2022, driven by a very strong month in October. Gaming revenue of $2.3 million was up by $1.2 million or 119% over Q3 2022, as the Company began offering a wider set of casino games on its Casino.exe platform.
- Gross profit was $5.0 million in Q4 2022, a year-over-year increase of $4.6 million from $0.4 million in Q4 2021, and up 139% sequentially from $2.1 million in Q3 2022.
- Net loss for Q4 2022 was $12.3 million. The net loss included $6.4 million of share-based compensation, a non-cash expense that is not expected to recur in future periods, as well as non-recurring spending of $1.1 million. Absent those non-recurring items, the Q4 2022 adjusted net loss was $4.9 million3, in line with a trend of narrowing losses over the past four quarters.
First Quarter 2023 Preliminary Results4
- Betting handle for the three-month period ended March 31, 2023 was $120.2 million, an increase of $80.0 million or 199% from $40.2 million in Q1 2022. Betting handle increased by $36.2 million or 43% from the previous quarterly record of $83.9 million in Q4 2022.
- Revenue for Q1 2023 was $12.0 million, an increase of $7.2 million or 151% from $4.8 million in Q1 2022, and up $2.5 million or 27% over Q4 2022 revenue of $9.4 million.
- Gross profit was $5.4 million in Q1 2023, an increase of $4.8 million from $0.7 million of gross profit in Q1 2022, and up $0.4 million or 9% from Q4 2022 gross profit of $5.0 million.
- These results were achieved with a 10% reduction in marketing spend YoY.
- Net loss was $3.5 million for Q1 2023, compared to a net loss of $6.6 million in Q1 2022.
- Rivalry obtained licences in its first two fully regulated markets, commencing gaming operations in Ontario on April 4, 2022 and in Australia on May 9, 2022.
- The Company added mobile esports to its sportsbook in March 2022, enabling customers to wager on a variety of competitive esports played on mobile devices.
- The Company entered the casino segment with its first third-party game in Q3 2022 and launched its proprietary platform Casino.exe in the fourth quarter with several additional games.
- Customer registrations increased to approximately 1.5 million by the end of Q1 2023.
- Rivalry’s creator partner network and owned media properties reached a total of 85 million followers, deepening reach, acquisition, and engagement among core target audience.
- Company brand strategy helped maintain market-leading position among next generation of bettors, with Millennial and Gen Z consumers accounting for 97% of active users in 2022.
- Esports betting continues to drive significant growth, representing nearly 90% of sportsbook handle in 2022.
- The Company expanded its casino offering in January 2023 with eight new titles including live dealer and table games, and debuted Casino.exe in its home market of Ontario in March 2023.
- On April 26, 2023, Rivalry announced a private placement for gross proceeds of up to $10 million (the “Private Placement”) with participation from key sports betting, technology, and payments stakeholders, signaling a vote of confidence in the Company’s user economics and ability to execute within this emerging vertical. The Private Placement is expected to close in one or more tranches commencing on or about May 5, 2023.
“We have reached an inflection point in the business where the economic return of our strategy and unique position at the intersection of esports and betting has outlined a clear path to profitability,” Salz added. “We are well-positioned to scale efficiently throughout the year, with a collection of near and long-term initiatives that will contribute to our disruptive product and brand.”
Initiatives the Company expects to drive continued growth in 2023 include:
- Expanding our esports offering to deepen our core product, attract new customers, and establish the most comprehensive product globally.
- Continued evolution of our interactive Casino.exe platform and release of additional proprietary and third-party games that cater to our core demographic and further establish a betting experience unique to Rivalry.
- Continued product development, including new betting markets and proprietary platform features, to meet shifting consumption habits of Millennial and Gen Z consumers.
- Launch of a mobile app in our regulated markets to increase accessibility of our product and player acquisition.
- Geographic expansion to increase our addressable market and customer base.
- Expanded brand execution through premium content, creator partner programming, and community activations to enhance customer engagement and retention, solidifying Rivalry’s leadership position among next generation consumers.
- Continuing to grow our investor base through proactive capital markets outreach.
iGaming Ontario to Request Proposals for a Centralized Self-Exclusion Solution in Early 2024
iGaming Ontario (iGO)’s vision is to lead the world’s best gaming market, which includes building a safer and more enjoyable experience for all igaming players in Ontario. To support players who decide to stop or take a break from gambling, iGO is going to issue a request for proposals (RFP) in early 2024 for a centralized self-exclusion solution that will enable a player to self-exclude from all Ontario regulated igaming operators in a single registration process.
Given the coordinated nature of the program across all regulated igaming operators, including Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG)’s igaming site, the successful bidder will be expected to develop and implement a centralized self-exclusion system that integrates with all operator systems and supports players’ self-exclusion registration, renewal, and reinstatement.
The following are iGO’s principles for centralized self-exclusion:
PLAYER FOCUSED – to provide options to players to support their commitment to take a break, to ensure processes are easy to use with minimal barriers and challenges, and to offer a seamless connection to relevant support services.
SUPPORTIVE – to deliver and execute the program in a non-stigmatized, non-judgmental manner; to be supportive and encouraging so that players feel good about registering in self-exclusion.
TRANSPARENT – to ensure expectations and consequences for players and Operators are clear and information is comprehensive and well-promoted.
SECURE – to ensure player information is securely protected and shared only with relevant employees for the purposes of administering the program.
ROBUST – to implement strong processes and procedures bolstered by secure, responsive, and highly available technology to enable an effective program that supports a player’s goals.
VIABLE – to develop systems and procedures that are manageable and practical for Operators to implement.
With these principles in mind, iGO is seeking interest from responsive and nimble companies that are able to build modern, innovative, secure cloud-based SaaS solutions that are high-profile, public-facing and critically important to building and maintaining the trust and confidence of a wide range of stakeholders. The successful bidder will partner with iGO on a multi-year program to develop best-in-class user experiences by leveraging modern, innovative technology.
Some features for an effective centralized self-exclusion solution include:
- Allowing players to create and manage their self-exclusion profile and including Know Your Client (KYC) identity verification
- Providing players with easy access to self-exclusion at any time including while they are gambling on any regulated igaming website
- Having registration, renewal, and reinstatement processes that are intuitive, simple and offer supporting information.
Rivalry Corp Reports Record Third Quarter 2023 Results, Reaffirms H1 2024 Profit Guidance
Company achieves record Q3 against reduced marketing spend and flattened Opex, highlighting operating leverage; strongest customer KPI’s on a year-to-date basis in Rivalry Corp’s history; positioned to accelerate growth with recently announced $14M capital infusion
- Betting handle of $105.7 million, up 50% year-over-year, while reducing marketing spend 13%.
- Revenue of $8.7 million, a 22% increase year-over-year.
- Gross profit of $4.0 million, up 90% year-over-year.
- Casino has grown to approximately half of the company’s betting handle in Q3, demonstrating ability to cross-sell next generation bettors and drive growth against unseasonably low viewership in select Q3 eSports events.
- Year-to-date customer KPI’s the strongest in company history: all-time high average handle per customer, average revenue per user and record low cost of customer acquisition.
- Year-to-date betting handle has increased 127%, revenue by 70% and gross profit up 175% over the first nine months of 2022. Achieved while reducing marketing spend, highlighting the inherent operating leverage in the business.
- Subsequent to the quarter end, Rivalry Corp completed a $14 million capital infusion that strengthens the balance sheet and provides the company with capital to pursue growth and profitability at the same time.
- Company re-affirms guidance, anticipates achieving profitability in H1 2024.
- Announces virtual investor day to be held on January 17, 2024.
Rivalry Corp (TSXV: RVLY) (OTCQX: RVLCF) (FSE: 9VK), the leading sportsbook and iGaming operator for Millennials and Gen Z, today announced its financial results for the three and nine-month periods ended September 30, 2023. All dollar figures are quoted in Canadian dollars.
“We are proud to have delivered a record third quarter while exercising discipline on costs amidst a challenging capital markets environment for growth companies,” the co-founder and Chief Executive Officer for Rivalry Corp, Steven Salz, said. “Now, with our recently announced capital infusion, we will be able to go back on the offensive, while still maintaining our path to profitability.
“Years of consistent performance, flattened Opex multiple quarters in a row, demonstrated triple-digit growth year-over-year across core metrics year-to-date with all-time high average handle per customer, average revenue per user and record low cost of customer acquisition over that same period gives me high conviction in Rivalry Corp’s future. It is this proven operating leverage, supported by an improving sportsbook margin profile resulting in more revenue per dollar wagered now fuelled by growth capital, that is creating a significant opportunity set for Rivalry Corp. It is that combination which gives us confidence to reaffirm our first half 2024 profitability guidance.”
Third Quarter 2023 Highlights:
- Betting handle for Q3 2023 was $105.7 million, an increase of $35.4 million or 50% from $70.3 million in Q3 2022.
- Revenue was $8.7 million in Q3 2023, a record result for a third quarter, representing an increase of $1.6 million or 22% from $7.1 million of revenue in Q3 2022.
- Gross profit was $4.0 million in Q3 2023, an increase of $1.9 million or 90% from $2.1 million of gross profit in Q3 2022.
- The casino segment generated approximately half of total betting handle ($50.4 million). Recent casino product launches including a custom-branded slots category, a new original game Cash & Dash and the release of Casino.exe on our iOS mobile app in Ontario set the stage for continued growth and increased player wallet share.
- Modest decline in operating expenses sequentially continues the trend of effective cost management while still maintaining significant year-over-year growth rates at the company.
- Net loss was $5.6 million for Q3 2023, a 6% reduction from the net loss of $6.0 million in Q3 2022 and 12% decrease sequentially.
- Rivalry Corp launched an industry-first same-game parlay product for eSports within the quarter, supporting an improved sportsbook product mix and contributing to an enhanced margin profile.
- The company had $7.4 million of cash and no debt as at September 30, 2023.
- On November 15, 2023, Rivalry Corp strengthened its balance sheet with the announcement of a private placement offering of $14 million principal amount senior secured convertible debentures to scale several strategic verticals across marketing, product development and geographic expansion.
Year-to-Date 2023 Highlights:
- Betting handle for the nine-month period ended September 30, 2023 was $338.1 million, an increase of $189.2 million or 127% from $148.9 million in the comparable period of 2022 while marketing spend decreased by 8%.
- Revenue was $29.2 million in the first nine months of 2023, representing an increase of $12.0 million or 70% from $17.2 million of revenue the previous year.
- Gross profit was $13.2 million in the first nine months of 2023, an increase of $8.4 million or 175% from $4.8 million of gross profit a year earlier.
- Net loss of $15.2 million in the nine-month period ended September 30, 2023, a reduction of $3.6 million compared to a net loss of $18.8 million over the same period in 2022.
Rivalry Corp is pleased to announce a virtual investor day to be held at 10:00am EST on January 17, 2024. The company will discuss its outlook for 2024, growth initiatives, upcoming product innovations and insights into the Gen Z consumer. More details will be revealed in the coming weeks.
Investor Conference Call:
Management will host a conference call at 10:00am EST on Wednesday, November 29, 2023 to discuss the company’s third quarter 2023 financial results.
- Dial-in: 888-886-7786 (toll free) or (+1) 416-764-8658 (local or international calls).
- Webcast: A live webcast can be accessed from the Events section of the company’s website at www. RivalryCorp .com. A replay of the webcast will be archived on the company’s website for one year.
Rivalry Corp’s financial statements and management discussion and analysis for the period ended September 30, 2023 are available on SEDAR+ at www. SedarPlus.ca and on the company’s website at www. RivalryCorp .com.
The company also announces that it has approved a grant of stock options, pursuant to the terms of the company’s equity incentive plan, to an investor relations service provider. A total of 44,444 stock options have been awarded to such investor relations service provider. The stock options will be exercisable at an exercise price equal to the closing price of the subordinate voting shares on the TSX Venture Exchange two trading days following the issuance of this press release, for a period of five years from the date of the grant. The stock options vest in equal quarterly instalments over a period of twelve months, commencing on the three-month anniversary of the date of the grant.
MDC Showcases Exciting $5 Crash Gambling Offer for Canadian Players
Minimum Deposit Casinos (MDC), a top casino affiliate site, is excited to feature an exclusive offer from Jackpot City Casino, introducing an innovative crash gambling experience in Canada. This promotion, highlighting a special $5 deposit option for engaging crash gambling games, is set to transform the Canadian digital gaming landscape, marrying affordability with high-energy gaming.
A New Era in Online Gaming
Amidst the rising popularity of crash gambling games, this featured offer caters to a wide spectrum of players, emphasizing both strategic gameplay and the excitement of real-time betting. The $5 deposit option democratizes access to online gambling, inviting more players to experience the thrill of high-stakes gaming without the associated high costs.
Exclusive $5 Offer – FlyX Awaits
In a special promotion, Jackpot City Casino is offering an exclusive deal for players directed through MDC. With a simple $5 deposit, players can unlock 40 free spins on the popular crash gambling game, FlyX. This offer enhances the gaming experience, providing increased opportunities for winning and an affordable gateway into crash gambling.
MDC: Curating Top Gaming Deals
A spokesperson at MDC remarks, “Featuring this offer from Jackpot City Casino aligns with our mission to bring the most exciting and affordable gaming experiences to our community. This $5 deposit initiative not only makes gaming more accessible but also showcases our commitment to offer our users exceptional deals.”
Diverse Gaming Opportunities Await
The inclusion of $5 deposit casino options presents a rich variety of crash gambling experiences. Each game offers unique challenges and rewards, ensuring that players of all preferences and budgets have access to engaging gaming options through MDC.
Turning Modest Deposits into Significant Wins
This initiative underscores the potential for players to achieve significant returns from modest investments. Crash gambling games, known for their dynamic and thrilling nature, provide opportunities for impressive wins, even from small starting bets.
- Hacksaw Gaming Debuts DraftKings Partnership in New Jersey
- Jackpot Digital Receives License to Install Three Jackpot Blitz(R) ETGs at Jackson Rancheria Casino Resort in California
- iGaming Ontario to Request Proposals for a Centralized Self-Exclusion Solution in Early 2024
- A $1 Million Amenity is Coming to the Former Buffet Space at Golden Nugget Casino Biloxi
- Kindred Group Announces North America Exit and Actions to Accelerate Profitable Growth
- Elys Game Technology Bets Big on U.S. Market with Third Location
- Global Esports Federation Reveals Season 4 of Global Esports Tour from Rio De Janeiro
- Gamescom Latam Set to Start in June 2024 in São Paulo
- Rivalry Corp Reports Record Third Quarter 2023 Results, Reaffirms H1 2024 Profit Guidance
- SPORTSNET PARTNERS WITH SPORTRADAR TO PROVIDE DATA-RICH CONTENT TO THE CANADIAN MARKET
- PRAGMATIC PLAY GROWS EVEN FURTHER IN BRAZIL WITH JOGAR.COM.VC
- West Virginia signs up to multistate poker compact
- EveryMatrix partners with Caesars Digital
- Gillette named as the Official Partner of the Esports Awards
- Swifty Global Secures GLI Certification for New Cutting-Edge B2B Gaming Platform
Gambling in the USA5 days ago
Santa Came Early for NJ Woman Who Hit the IGT Megajackpot at Betrivers for Over $660,000 on $0.60 Cent Bet
Gambling in the USA4 days ago
NYC Agency Aims to Streamline Casino Application Process, But Critics Warn of Potential Community Exclusion
Canada5 days ago
Expanse Studios Forges Super Prospective Media Partnership with SlotsOnlineCanada.com
eSports4 days ago
Exclusive Q&A w/ Gary Denham, founder and CEO of Wamba Technologies and Gamer’s Oasis
Compliance Updates2 days ago
Jackpot Digital Receives License to Install Three Jackpot Blitz(R) ETGs at Jackson Rancheria Casino Resort in California
Latest News3 days ago
EveryMatrix partners with Caesars Digital
Canada5 days ago
MDC Showcases Exciting $5 Crash Gambling Offer for Canadian Players
eSports3 days ago
Gillette named as the Official Partner of the Esports Awards