When the Summer Meeting of the National Council of Legislators from Gaming States begins, there will be a full year of results from two states and many months’ of results from at least four other states in the post-PASPA world of legal sports betting. The results and lessons from these early adopters will be the focus of the Committee on Emerging Forms of Gaming when NCLGS holds its Summer Meeting, July 12-14 at the Radisson Blu Downtown.
The Committee, chaired by Indiana Senator Jon Ford, will hear from the following experts:
- Kevin Braig, Partner, Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick LLP
- Steve Geller, NCLGS Legal Advisor and Principal, Geller Law Firm
- Nicole Metzgar-Schall, Corporate Counsel, Sportradar
- Dan Spillane, Senior Vice President, League Governance & Policy, National Basketball Association
Aspects of sports betting will be also be central to other NCLGS Summer Meeting committee sessions and panels, including the Committee on Responsible Gaming, the Committee on Lotteries, the Committee on State-Federal Relations, and an International Masters of Gaming Law Masterclass.
“Being from Indiana, a state that has just passed sports betting, our focus is on making sure that the state benefits in the best way possible for our constituents. It is our job to get this right,” said Senator Ford, who is also a NCLGS officer. “We can learn from where other states have gotten it right and when they might have stumbled. We can get ahead of the curb thanks to those who came before us and gave us the blueprint.”
The three-day NCLGS Summer Meeting agenda includes:
- Six legislative committee sessions: Casinos, Emerging Forms of Gaming, Indian Gaming, Lotteries, Responsible Gaming, and State-Federal Relations
- Keynote Luncheon Address: “The Next Five Years of Gaming,” by Timothy Wilmott, CEO, Penn National Gaming, and Chairman, American Gaming Association
- Two IMGL Masterclass panels conducted by the International Masters of Gaming Law focusing on state lottery technology and the multiple crossover regulatory and legal issues
- Special general session panel examining gaming’s evolution toward entertainment
- Thursday evening cocktail reception
- Friday evening welcome reception
- Saturday afternoon tour of Sportradar offices
To view the agenda, register, and book rooms at the host hotel at special attendee rates, visit http://www.nclgs.org/meetings.html.
Source: National Council of Legislators from Gaming States